The Master-Class in Estimating
This course teaches creating estimates that are accurate at all times! (and whose precision is realistic given everything we know currently).
A plan stands or falls on its estimates yet how to estimate is poorly understood and badly applied in most organisations.
Implementing good estimating practices is a tough job made easier with understanding of the psychology of how organisations treat good and bad news, good and bad performance.
You Will Learn To
- Create estimates that match the uncertainty in your projects.
- Apply a wide range of estimating tools, techniques (such as via analogous and parametric) and approaches (such as top-down and bottom-up).
- Defend estimates using ranges and confidence levels.
- Including impact of range-based (3-point) estimating on schedules and resource pool owners.
- Include and manage contingency.
- Address the issues of implementing best-practices in estimating.
- Budget holder’s overview 2hr and ½ day formats available.
- Technical Staff overview for those supplying estimates 1 Day
- Standard Full Course 2 Days
0900 to 1630 formal class hours (1630 onward informal/ optional time for discussion of “topics raised on the day” and demonstration of relevant software tools if wanted), 1530 finish on last day.
- Recognise good versus bad estimates and be able to challenge and defend estimates.
- Confidently create estimates that can be challenged and whose audit trail is transparent.
- Calculate contingency amounts that are visible and under control.
- Enable sound business decision making based on estimates whose degree of reliability is known and expressed.
Who Should Attend
All those who need the skills to generate estimates for inclusion in project business cases, schedules and budgets.
Project Assurance staff needing to take a view on project control.
Staff involved in initiatives to improve Estimating Capabilities.
Content & Workshops
- Introductions & Logistics
- What is an Estimate?
- Planning Concepts
- Estimating Approaches and Techniques
- Project Tracking & Feedback Loops
- Things To Count
- Non-numeric Estimates
- Estimating For Situations With Less Than Certainty
- Adding & Showing Uncertainties