Below are links to a range of our papers and documents published in a variety of places.
Of course our own blog carries posts!
- PRINCE2 Agile® Foundation – At Last! Easy Access To A Marriage Made In Heaven
- How to Delegate Work 101
- Meetings, The Benefits of Shared Understanding and How To Achieve it!
- PMBok-Guide 6th and VUCA
- You Can’t Solve a Problem With The Thinking That Created It
- and plenty more… go take a look
Project Manager Today
- Featured article April 2018 –
Learning pm is an organisational journey not a credential
- PMToday – Maturity? Agile Practices? Jun’14 – A simple job-aid to assess your organisation’s agile maturity
- PMToday – Educate Yourself Successful? Mar’14 – For an organisation to be sucessful requires that people in multiple roles share a common view of procedures and goals
- PMToday Business Case Abuse Mar’11 – Business cases are often ‘Soap Powder Ads’ selling an idea when they should describe the relative merits of an opportunity to the decision makers with a portfolio perspective
- PMToday Risk in Baseline – Simple steps to adding contingency into cost & schedule baselines and representing allowances in baselines using Microsoft Project®
- PMToday Getting Fired1109-34 – Embracing enforced change as a trigger for advancement (A reflection of Strange Attractors in Complex Adaptive Systems)
- PMToday Powerful (and Easy) Magic with Excel and MS Project 0510-27-29 – How to use DDE linking of an estimating database developed in Excel to MS Project’s task durations to create Gantt charts that reflect a dynamic re-estimating, perhaps based on EV’s SPI/CPI or a team’s Velocity
- PMToday Estimating0909-22 – The ins and outs of competent estimating
- PMToday Post-It planning1209-12-13 – Planning is a social affair, best conducted using walls and post-it® notes
- PMToday PMO BestPractice0410-28 – There is more than one type of PMO but a PMO cannot be of more than one type
- PMToday p2-2009 in 666 Words BestPracticeFocus0310-27-28 A complete (and given 666 words therefore concise) view of the 425 pages that is PRINCE2 2017 mechanics (2009 to 2017 changed emphasis on being agile and tailoring but not the processes, themes or principles.
- PMToday Trainingwaste0809-6-7 Sensible preparation and follow-up step to take before and after a training course in order to get the best value from it
Published by the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management – ASAPM (asapm home) Now IPMA-USA
- The Breakdown structure – Part 1 – A paper that explores misconceptions about what a xBS (Breakdown Structure) is
- The Breakdown structure – Part 2 – and coaches how to create first a Product-BS then Task (or Work)-BS
- #pm_ngt New Generation Project Management Thinking – Project management’s future is an integration of currently disparate ideas that are mostly compatible but held in fragmented isolation by zealots who reject what does not bear their own label. This paper explores the integration of Dimension Four®, PRINCE2® and PMBoK Guide®
Girls Guide TO PM
StrategyExecution – Formally 2080 formally ESI Blog
- Various articles at this url (New-page) so far covering
- A beginners guide to creating schedule etc
- What is/ How do you do Portfolio Management
- Some perils of Lean 6 Sigma in a project context
- Assessing and rescuing (or killing) troubled projects
- Virtual working
- PRINCE or Agile – Which is right? (Hint both are great)
- Prepping for the PMI PMP
- The 6 “W” Questions
- Programme vs Project management
- Wicked problems and complex projects
- Creating a better pm solution by merging prince, pmbok-g and agile
- 5 minute explanation of prince2
- A view of the role of the PMO
The Guardian Project Management supplement
- Guardian Article Final – Methods Madness – Pragmatic common sense is more important that exam passes and anyone can use a little common sense can successfully deliver projects
The Simon’s Obsrvations on Project’s series – #soop
Free white-paper articles (pdf) that you can use to brief the boss, the team, the customer, whoever on aspects of PM. #Soops are inspired by how making soup parallels use of structured methods and listed in the soops list.
- SOOP LML Simple PM – An explanation of the basic bureaucracy free ‘must do’ steps written without the use of jargon
- SOOP LML Complex Projects – Musings on how knowledge of Complexity and nature and evolution helps being pragmatic and successful in the deliver of projects
- SOOP LML Scope is Quality – explanation of the collision of Scope and Quality in projects. Both have two definitions: Scope is ‘what the customer wants’ and ‘what the team must do’ while Quality is Fitness for Purpose and Conformance to specification. This paper links Customer’s and Supplier’s view points via the use of the Product Breakdown Structure and the Work Breakdown Structure
To be badged
- Benefits Realisation Will Improve When HiLighted –
- Beyond First Generation – What does 2nd Generation project managemet add to first generation?
- Dimension Four® 2nd Generation Extensions to basic project management frameworks –
- A Comparison of PM Qualifications – the two dominant qualifications in PM are PMI’s PMP and the PRINCE2 Registered ‘practitioner’. How do they stack-up when seeking to be mobile in the jobs market? Here is a short, personali perspective.