The master-class workshop for Agile Skills in Estimating
(Free as eLearning on Windows & mLearning on iOS & Android – Available instructor led too)
- In this course you will master Methods, Approaches, Tools and techniques appropriate for estimating anything in EVERY industry, job role and market sector
- Every aspect of project performance versus baseline is dependant on estimates yet so often project team members have no methods, no procedures, and no techniques to create, verify or manage their estimates.
- This class remedies those omissions and more
- Good estimating is not in the creation but in the on-going use.
- Based on experience in the field and best-of-class published thinking the contents of this class has been taught to those who repair the Navy’s ships and those who write the software for satellites and everyone in between.
- Content is equally suited to iterative agile and traditional single-pass development lifecycles.
- Instructor led events are delivered by Simon Harris PMP, CGGEIT, P2-RP, D4-Acred’td, MoR-RP in a relaxed and humorous workshop style sharing experience gained from 30 years project involvement across every industry sector at some time or another from Stock markets to Oil fields and nearly 2 decades delivering training courses.
- Online format includes all the slides but not the accompanying discussion or exercises
- The course combines experience of the subject matter with the skills required to convey it to others in clear, simple, bite-sized digestible chunks
- Class presentation includes a variety of media to provide formal input, examples from experience and the ‘real-world’, Explore-the-Concept-exercises to translate “heard it” to “understand it” and Build-the-Skill Case-Study segments to turn “Understand it” into “Can apply it”.
- Each Explore-the-Concept and Build-the-Skill session is debriefed with discussion of the challenges from technique use and the actions required to turn knowledge in to skill and habits Back@Work™
- Content is based on an integration of many years original thought leadership and experience in estimating successes and difficulties and wide subject matter related study
- Instructor led class materials include full notes, paper and electronic notes plus job aids and reference materials
- Available as white-label, badged modules for your own LMS (SCORM or AICC, Blackboard etc)
Objectives covered in the materials
- Recognise good versus bad estimates and be able to challenge and defend estimates.
- Confidently create estimates that can be challenged and whose audit trail is transparent.
- Calculate contingency amounts that are visible and under control.
- Enable sound business decision making based on estimates whose degree of reliability is known and expressed.
- This course teaches creating estimates that are accurate at all times! (and whose precision is realistic given everything we know currently.).
- A plan stands or falls on its estimates yet how to estimate is poorly understood and badly applied in most organisations.
- Implementing good estimating practices is a tough job made easier with understanding of the psychology of how organisations treat good and bad news, good and bad performance.
You Will Learn To
- Create estimates that match the uncertainty in your projects.
- Apply a wide range of estimating tools, techniques (such as via analogous and parametric) and approaches (such as top-down and bottom-up).
- Defend estimates using ranges and confidence levels.
- Including impact of range-based (3-point) estimating on schedules and resource pool owners.
- Include and manage contingency.Address the issues of implementing best-practices in estimating